Tuesday 30 November 2010

okido!

This FdA is flying on by and it is already time to decide on a project for next term. Out of a list of 8 interesting choices I have decided to go for a project that is slightly out of my comfort zone. Although I enjoy drawing I have never considered myself to be an illustrator but I love the medium and think this is too good an opportunity to pass up. I actually have some postcards of Rachel Ortas' up in Lola's bedroom although I did not know her name until now. Very exciting to think I might get to work with her. Here below is the brief and a few of her beautiful illustrations...


Okido: Illustration

This project will be led by Rachel Ortas (www.rachelortas.co.uk) who is an illustrator, graphic artist and artist in residence at Central St Martins, in addition to contributing to many art publications.
Her screenprinted illustrations include weird and wonderful characters who look cute but have a slightly menacing edge, which is what makes them appealing to adults as well as children. One of her most well-known characters are the AiAis, monsters from outer space, which have been exhibited in Magma and the Science museum. These characters appear in comic strips, books, cards and in 3D form.

Rachel is also one of the creators and founders of OKIDO (www.okido.co.uk) an educational and fun art and science magazine for children.

If you choose this project, led by Rachel, the kind of work that’ll you’ll be working on includes:

Designs for young children (based on a theme) including:
● developing/researching ideas
● working for a magazine
● graphic design
● illustration
● interactive design
● typography

All the work you produce for this project will be evaluated by the Okido publishing team who will decide on the best pieces of work that could go forward and be published in Okido Magazine itself.









2 comments:

  1. wonderful! - and even if you haven't, I HAVE always cond=sidered you an illustrator!! The museum of childhood sells her children's magazines, I have always admired them. Looks like this will be a very exciting project - good luck and enjoy! Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete